Thursday, February 23, 2012

Piggybacking as a Social Media Strategy

In this experiment i have discovered that the best way to get reliable traffic volumes to my blog has been through two main channels.
  1. Gaining regular twitter followers who regularly visit the blog as well as promoting it.
  2. Piggybacking on If' vakuutus's own social media.
By placing my story directly onto If vakuutus's facebook wall i have managed to get a lot of traffic of theirs to visit my blog. This is great in this situation because i have been able to really get attention of people who actually care about If insurance, what they do and their practices.
These are actually the most valuable visitors to the blog (sorry to my faithful twitter followers). The reason for this is that If actually care about those people they are their customers, employees and shareholders primarily. They are not so worried about a social media nerd (such as myself) sat at a computer, in his mother's basement in the back end of nowhere, Dakota USA.  Sorry anyone fitting that description ;-)

As such as this has been such a succesful channel for me to gain attention and to steal and gain support of real If vakuutus's own followers. I have now expanded the use of this to other social media channels utilised by If.

If vakuutus's Youtube channel

I am now present on If vakuutus's youtube channel and all Finnish If videos. People who look at those comments can access my blog.

I have also set up my own Youtube channel as a distribution channel from If vakuutus's own video content to my blog.

There are a couple of problems with doing this on YouTube. Unlike on the If's facebook group it is difficult for me to add my own valuable content. Some of the videos do not allow your comments to incude links so people must first click your profile to get to your channel and then to the blog.

The second problem is that for the most part If vakuutus embed the videos from YouTube into their own pages. In this way the comments are not visible unless the site visitor clicks through to YouTube.

As such this is not a particularly good channel for generating traffic to my own social media but it is still a valid channel for interfering with If's marketing message and an annoyance to If vakuutus themselves.

Other If Vakuutus Facebook Groups

As i mentioned in my "Fun Post" If Finland Vs If Sweden the Finns are fiercely competitive with the Swedes. As such i have added to the Swedish If group the following.
Click to Visit If Swedens Facebook Group

Previously there has not been much traffic from Sweden so it will be interesting to see what happens now.

I am now also on If Insurance Denmark's, If Norway's and If Insurance Latvia's Facebook group pages.



I will update you if this pattern changes in a later post.

No comments:

Post a Comment